Sunday, November 4, 2012

Rock & Roll!

Last weekend was a doozy. We flew home, visited parents, got sick and ran a half marathon. For me, that is a HUGE accomplishment (the running, not the getting sick). One year ago I got all hot and bothered if I had to run more than 1 mile.

Somehow, I got suckered in to doing this race. Obviously I roped Daniel and my mother in to doing it too which of course meant training (Daniel is never one to do things half way). Daniel was already a runner, but I had to start from the beginning. In April I started with the Couch to 5K. Let me just say this app is great. It tells you when to start, stop, and gives words of encouragement as you go. It is an 8 week program, but if you are serious, by the end you can run. After that we picked a Half Marathon schedule that worked for our time frame and got going. There were definitely ups and downs but I'm glad we stuck to our guns.

Since I had never done a race like this before I was amazed at how big it was. There was probably close to 8,000 people with us (including Will Ferrell). It was a little frightening but fun. The race route took us around the LA Colosseum and up to the 6th street bridge.

Here we are before the race


and after


I swear, Daniel didn't even break a sweat. Me? I was just happy I finished.

We finished in just over 2:27 which I thought was a great time (though Daniel thinks he could have gone faster) and I am happy to say I will never do another one. Not that I wont keep running, I just never want to run that far again.

I highly encourage anyone who wants to start running to do the Couch to 5K program. As for more than that? I leave that up to you.

Any other crazy people out there running marathons? Did you do more than one? My friend ran the race with us too and she was on her 11th for the year (can you say crazy?)

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! I've always wanted to do a half but havent got around to it ;) I'm proud of you! Looks like fun...

    ReplyDelete