Tuesday, June 5, 2012

DIY No Sew Swimsuit Cover up

If you are on Pinterest then you have undoubtedly seen this cover up.

via 


Fabulous right? I knew I could make one but I am always cautious with sewing projects. They don't always turn out horribly but it's about 50/50. Added to that, jersey and I aren't great friends. Still I looked at their linked tutorial and figured I could do it. The only thing I didn't want to do was sew. I figured jersey doesn't need hems, why make life more difficult? So here it is. My version of the swim-suit cover up.

Materials:
  • 1.75 yds jersey (I'm 5'11" and about a size 8-10 so you can scale up or down from that)
  • contrasting embroidery thread
  • scissors
  • 10 minutes of your life. Seriously, I did this while my husband snoozed one morning.
Step 1: Lay out your fabric


Step 2: Trim down the length. This was pretty unscientific for me. I wrapped it around myself to make sure it would go all the way around and then cut down the length. I used an old sarong to measure the length but that ended up being too long still.

Step 3: Fold in half.

Step 4: Round the corners. I feel like this makes it look more professional and finished. It also makes the straps easier to cut.

Step 5: Cut out arm holes. The first time I cut them too big.


Major side boob showage. Luckily the dress was too long so I trimmed about another foot off and cut my arm holes a bit narrower. This is why jersey and I aren't friends. It is heavy and stretchy so it hangs.

Okay, so I don't look like the model but I still like the way it fits. 

As for the embroidery thread, this is an optional step but I like the way it finishes the straps. I wish I had pictures of this but I actually had to have Daniel do it. I highly suggest getting someone to help since it will make it fit better if you wrap the straps while you are wearing it (again stretchy fabric).

Obviously mine is much longer than the original but I like the length. It is more comfortable and covers a bit better. I can always shorten later if it proves too long. 

You could probably do this project for under $10 but I splurged on this fabric. The color is perfect! Just in time for our Jamaica trip next week. AAK! so soon! 

The kitchen cabinets are well on their way. We are doing the first coat of paint today. More tomorrow!

Anyone else have any fun trips coming up? They always seem to sneak up on me. 
Cheers!

Linking Up to
Frugal Friday
Weekend Bloggy Reading

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this coverup and I love it! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! but how do u fasten it? is it in the back? did u use velcro ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a wraparound so there is no fasten, you could put a belt on it

      Delete
  3. How much would I add for size 20+

    ReplyDelete