Friday, March 9, 2012

February Good Eats Wrap Up

I meant to get this out before I left for Mexico but alas, it wasn't in the cards. We are still working our way through Alton Brown's Good Eats Cookbooks. I am amazed with how far we have gotten (though we did start way back in June). I was a short month so we didn't get many Fridays but we did enjoy what we had!

After last month we ran in to a few snags in our cooking plans. We didn't have a grill, smoker, or pressure cooker so we ended up skipping ahead a few recipes. Don't worry, I tagged them, so when there is time/money they will be made (it wouldn't be a true challenge if we didn't actually make everything in the book).  Here's the run down.


  • Fried Chicken: Probably my favorite recipe in the whole book so far. It was juicy and slightly spicy and perfectly cooked. The only change I would make would be to use less salt (it is a problem in the early recipes) but I still managed to eat basically half a chicken so I call it a success. I will warn you the paprika gets really dark and you'll think you burned it but never fear, it is fine. 
  • Lobster: This was our Valentines Day dinner but it was a bit of a flop. No amount of Alton's assurances that Lobster is basically brethren to cockroaches will make me buy a live lobster and kill it. We used lobster tail and I think I've decided I just don't like lobster. Call me strange. 
  • For the last Friday before we left we departed from tradition and made something new in the series. For those of you who don't follow the cult of Alton you may not know that Good Eats has ended. But, for the last episode he made the worlds best chocolate cookies, Chocapocalypse Cookies. These were amazing. Four types of chocolate, nibs and very little flour. I just couldn't pass them up and neither should you. 

We've got pot roast planned for tonight's Good Eats (another first for me) and I'm looking forward to it. 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment