Monday, January 16, 2012

Deconstructing

Hope you all had fabulous constructive weekends. We had a bit of fun being even more destructive than usual and nor can officially say our kitchen/bedroom remodel is well underway (and it snowed!). We have gone from this


To this

To this

To this

and finally, to this



 I feel like we made some great progress even if we ran in to a few minor snags. Mainly finding out that that "decorative" bulk head actually contained a huge giant beam.


Major bummer. I might have even cursed. We've been doing our research, taking to the experts (and fathers) and are 95% sure it is just decorative. We've come to that conclusion through much going in to the attic, staring at walls, and long conversations that culminate in Google searches of load baring beams. I do not, I repeat, DO NOT suggest anyone else does what we are doing. Make sure you have someone you trust help you make these decisions. You most certainly do not want to have your roof come tumbling down. We still haven't decided how sure we are that we can safely remove it ourselves, so if we (and by we I mean me) are still skeptical I have a structural engineer who was recommended to me. I would highly recommend calling one in if you have a similar problem. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. 

Like I said this reno is going to be a slow process. While we wait for more funds to come available (we are trying to stick to our resolutions folks) there is plenty of clean up and take down that still needs to happen. I'll keep you posted.
Cheers!

2 comments: