Monday, June 6, 2011

Dreaming on the Porch...

Well, about the porch at any rate. As you may remember from here I finally finished the initial painting of the porch Friday so I spent the weekend enjoying the sun (aka weeding) and coming up with porch plans. We had a rain of free stuff (more on that tomorrow) so now I have some new furniture to put on the porch when it is done! So happy. I've been hemming and hawing over buying Adirondack chairs after seeing these on google'
but just couldn't make the 30-70$ plunge on them. It must have been fate because now I have some beautiful FREE furniture that I can pick and choose from. (I'm still not sure what I want to use so I'll save that for later)

The biggest next step for designing the porch is going to be the stenciling I get to start on Friday. I'm super excited about the one I got here from Royal Design Studio. Here's my rough plan:

Our deck is 7ft by 20 ft and I didn't want it too look too busy so I came up with this arrangement.

Ok, I'm no artist but you get the gist.

I'm going to do a border of the center of the stencil around the outside of the porch and then space the larger design out in the middle. Friday when I get going I will lay everything out to make sure I like the spacing but since I can't go on the porch for now, this will have to do.

I'm reusing some paint I already have so here are the colors (and I know, you're supposed to use porch paint but I'm telling you I've got plans for that)


I traced the stencil on a piece of paper and then painted in the colors I wanted to use to see what arrangement I liked best. The stripe at the bottom will be used to mark off the border and the little flower in the center will be alternating the three colors around the edge. Hopefully that makes sense to someone else out there. I promise I will show the method to my madness when I can get it all spaced out.

There it is, I've got some decor to work on this week but in the words of the great Alton Brown, that's another show.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete