Monday, September 5, 2011

Good Eats Challenge Week 10: Fondue

Ok, so I am way behind on my Good Eats posts but I wanted to get this one out there before tackling the last two.

Mmmm Cheesy goodness....




You know I love cheese. It it definitely in my top five list of things I can not live without so I was super excited when we watched the next Good Eats episode and it was fondue! Somehow though this recipe is not in the book! Shame on you Alton Brown (have you heard there are not going to be any more Good Eats??? I might die....)

As you can see we put up a pretty good spread. My favorite dipping items are apples, bread, and veggies (I had some little heirloom tomatoes which were quite yummy too). Fondue is great for a cheap date night because it is all about sitting and being communal. You can eat, chat, watch silly movies and just hang out. And it is darn good too!

Here is the fabled Good Eats Fondue (I got it from the Food Network website)


Ingredients

  • clove garlic, halved
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard apple cider
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon brandy
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • 5 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere, grated
  • 5 ounces (2 cups) Smoked Gouda, rind removed, grated
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • Several grinds fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Rub inside of fondue pot or heavy small saucepan with garlic. Pour cider into pot. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, the brandy and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, grate the cheese and toss well with the cornstarch in a large bowl. When the cider just begins to simmer, gradually add the cheese a handful at a time, allowing each addition to melt completely before adding the next. Continue adding cheese and stirring until all cheese is incorporated, about 3 minutes. If mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low. The mixture is ready when creamy and easily coats the back of a spoon. Stir in curry powder and pepper. If cheese seems stringy, add some or all of the remaining lemon juice. Move fondue pot to alcohol warmer, and keep stirring during service. A variety of breads, frompumpernickel to rye to bagel chunks can be skewered and dipped as can cauliflower, broccoli,mushrooms and potatoes. (Soften all vegetables by blanching briefly in boiling water then chilling.) Crisp fruits such as apples make great fondue fodder, as do cooked meats and sausages. Even soft pretzelsmake for good dipping. If any fondue is left over, cover with ice water and refrigerate, pour off water and reheat over low heat.

All in all, tasty but not my favorite. Sorry Alton but the smoked gouda was just too smokey for me. It reminded me of the bacon flavored squeeze cheese my mother some people like.  But the other flavors were good and we ate it all so it couldn't have been that bad right?? Cheese is never bad, that would be sacralige. 

What about you? Are you in the cheese cult? I know you are Sadie + Stella! Check out their fondue recipe. We should have a fondue cook off. Anyone game?

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I love cheese. I love melted cheese. My fondue pot has been sitting unused for way too long. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete