Monday, September 26, 2011

Yard Update

We had our last stretch of sun for a while this weekend so I took it upon myself to get a few more things done in the back yard. Here's what it looks like now (you can see the whole progress in pictures here)





I also cleaned out the side yard

Before

 After



I made the patio space with the landscaping rocks from our side yard. I'm going to use the side yard as a vegetable plot so getting rid of everything there has to start sometime.



My climbing roses have gotten out of control and don't really fit along the side of the house so those will have to go eventually too. I plan on putting them along the fence in the back yard. My garden book says I have to wait until they go dormant to move them though so they will be staying a while.

I also got the beds planted (and added my home made bottle tree).




Everything is spaced to grow and I have spaces for my bulbs that should be coming mid October. I'm so excited about having a spring garden (I ordered from Brecks and they are having a huge pre-order sale right now so if you are interested you should check them out).

There is still a lot to do with the back bed but we did get a new tree planted.



It is a silk tree. Normally they are greener but this is a hybrid that has reddish brown leaves. It grows really fast and will have a great canopy when it is fully grown which will shade the yard without being too dense. Even better, it flowers in the summer with the pretty feathery bursts of pink. This is a peek at what it will look like fully grown and in bloom.  (As a side note I've read a few things saying this is an invasive species in the south so if you live there it might not be the tree for you).

Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' flower
here


There are still some branches and wood left over from the whole yard clean up



But we are getting closer to clean.

The only thing left to decide about the back yard is what to do about the other fence...



I would love to have a huge laurel hedge for privacy and to keep the yard feeling lush but the house next door to us sold so I want to wait to see what they plan to do with the fence.

I also got to mow the lawn for the first time in my life this weekend. I've never had a yard before so it was a fun experience (we'll see how long that feeling lasts).

This weekend was the first time since we moved in that we actually could use the yard. Daniel and I sat out and had lunch and enjoyed how serene and quiet it was. It will be a great way to get sun during the cold winter months to come and I am excited to throw some parties next summer.

Are you all ready for fall? I thought I was but after the beautiful weekend we just had I am not so sure.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment