Monday, July 4, 2011

Good Eats Challenge Week 2

After taking a break to go on our fabulous second honeymoon I am back to pick up our Good Eats Challenge. You may remember from my first post that food traditions are important around here so I am super excited to be continuing with this one.

This weeks recipe is Mashed Potatoes. YUM! Now I love all things potatoes. They are my second favorite food (right after cheese) and this was a recipe I have been dying to try. It is a pretty simple recipe:


  • 2lb russet potatoes peeled
  • 2lb Red potatoes unpeeled
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup butter milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 6 cloves of garlic

The show called for a 2:1 ratio of Russets to Red potatoes but the book calls for equal proportions. (I went with the book on this one)The russets make a really creamy mash and the reds add some chunkiness to the mixture.


After you (or your partner) prep the potatoes cover them with cold water and bring them to a boil. This keeps them from getting too gummy which does not make for good potatoes.

Once they are boiling reduce to simmer and simmer until done (about 15 min). While they are cooking simmer the buttermilk, cream and whole garlic cloves. He says they will get soft enough in this time, I didn't think they did (they ended up pretty whole for me) so you might want to chop them up before simmering in the liquid.

Once the potatoes are done drain and mash adding the cream mixture a little at a time until perfect.



Add salt and pepper to taste and then garnish with chives.


All in all a pretty good base mashed potato mixture. I definitely think it could have used a bit more oomph in the flavor department but the consistency was perfect. I will make this again but I will roast the garlic first (and add quite a bit more) and maybe add some cream cheese too. Hey, I never said this would be a healthy dish.

Anyone have a favorite Mashed Potato recipe they want to share? I'm all for variety.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment